History of Silchar

The district of Sylhet of Bengal was under the possession of British East India Company when in the year 1766, the whole of Bengal’s administration was transferred to the Company by a firman (decree) from the Moghul Emperor.

Origin of Silchar

The East India Company’s rule came closer to Cachar, Ahom, and Jaintia kingdoms and all the kings in the region began to acknowledge the Company’s authority in the region. All these kingdoms were stumbling as the kingdoms would very soon capitulate to the powers of the East India Company.

History of SilcharIt happened soon in case of Cachar, when in the year 1830 Maharaja Gobinda Chandra was brutally killed in at a place called Haritikar in the present day Cachar which left the kingdom without an heir.

In the year 1824 a treaty was signed between the Company’s representative at Sylhet and the king. The company was not ready to give the territory to Prince Gambhir Singh of Manipur, as he was not the apparent heir. In such a situation the company preferred to rule the territory by its own officers. This historic decision taken by the Company has further dictated the political fate of the Cachar district.

The major decision of the company for the eastern frontiers were then taken in the  Cherrapunji headquarters. The Company’s Indian charge was taken into account from Fort William at Calcutta. Cachar‘s destiny was attached to the Company’s domain on the final decision taken at Cherapunji. In the year 1974 Shillong emerged as the capital of Assam in 1874.

During the annexation of the Hairamba or the Cachari kingdom to the Empire Silchar was not mentioned as its headquarter. Silchar was then an unknown place to everyone.In that part of the country Captain Fisher was chosen to establish the administration and the selection of its headquarters was left to him. Silchar was not in the calculation to become the headquarters of the newly acquired territory with a very less population.

Captain Fisher’s visit to Silchar could be understood from the fact that he, before its selection as the
headquarters stayed at Dudhpatil along with the party. Some of the members of the party crossed the other sode of the river and they discovered some higher lands. Captain Fisher was very much keen to examine the land. Later, it was decided that in the year 1833, Silchar became the headquarters of the district and Captain Fisher was elected as the first superintendent of the district.

For a long time Sichar was reachable by boat on the river and therefore, the steamer ghats were very much important throughout the province. With the rise in tea gardens in different parts of the plain parts of Cachar, the desolateness of the district was reduced to some extent.

When Captain Fisher was designated as the superintendent when he came to rule. Captain Fisher’s hands faced a lot of problem as he had to encounter the hostile attitudes of the tribal people who were not ready to accept the Company’s rule over them. Cachar History is closely associated with the arrival of Captain Fisher in Silchar. Captain Fisher is remembered as the founder of Silchar.

Polo Club in Silchar

British tea planters re-discovered the game polo in Manipur on the Burmese border with India, in the year 1850s. The first polo club in the world was discovered in Silchar. The first competitive modern form of polo was played in Silchar.

Silchar Railway link

In 1899, the Assam Bengal Railway got Silchar into the Indian railway map. The railway line from Lumding to Silchar is regarded as one of the most interesting unspoilt railway tracks of India. The meter gauge line stands testimony to the grandiose of what was once a highly popular city in the North-East,was constructed by the British during the colonial rule.


3432
  • SHARE THIS
  • TWEET THIS
  • SHARE THIS
  • COMMENT
  • LOVE THIS 0
  • E-mail

Comments / Discussion Board - History of Silchar

Loader
  • k
    kaustav deb from silchar 820 Days ago

    nice job silchar online

    1 0
    Report Abuse
    Reply